Thursday 28 August 2008

Weymesworld opening night at Dazal, Hull


Nether Heyford, 0 miles, 0 locks

After a slightly rocky start, trying to get to the bus stop in time to catch the bus so I could pick up a car, it turned out that Enterprise will come and collect you, so they did. I sat outside the Forester's Arms in Nether Heyford and a jolly lady in a Ford Ka came and picked me up. This was also the Ka that Enterprise were going to hire me, and after signing in half-a-dozen different places, I was on my way to Hull.

It's a long way to Hull, even from here. It's a nice part of the world, but it's not exactly on the way to anywhere and it's a long way over, so even when you're in-line with it, as the M18 is, it's still another hour to get there; but I got there in time to have a beauty bath, dinner with Paul, fix Suzanne's iMac, and still be at Dazal in time for the opening at 8.

My favourite was his painting of Morgan, above. It was clearly someone else's favourite too, because it has been bought!

The evening went very well I have to say. There had been 11 people in to see the paintings even before the 8pm start and there was a good crowd there when Paul and I arrived, enjoying the free champagne and the ambience. Some of them were Paul's work colleagues, and although they obviously knew he painted as a hobby, I don't think many of them had seen his work. Martin and Steven, who play Cookie and Ida in Emery Berd, arrived fashionably late, but people dropped in throughout the evening and I think Paul was very happy. Even when Dazal closed, lots of people retired across the road to Zest, for a last snifter before going home.

If you're in the Hull area, Paul's paintings are going to be up until 28th September 2008: