Friday 29 August 2008

It's a miracle!


Nether Heyford, 0 miles, 0 locks

After that brief excursion into the glamourous world of art and film, it's back to the hard nitty gritty of my journey. As you may remember, Oothoon's batteries were on the flat side and her engine was not doing the going-round thing that keeps this blog on the move. I'd re-attached the solar panel in the vague hope that--if I left things for a couple of days--the sun would shine, photons would be converted to electrons, batteries would fill up and generators would not be necessary. Well, blow me down if that isn't exactly what happened today.

Paul and I got back from Hull at about 3pm and after a quick comfort-break I was in the engine room all expectant. The voltmeter suggested that things were looking up and after a quick 10 seconds of glow-plug, the engine roared into life. It was all very gratifying, and anyone who tells you that Photovoltaic panels are not the way of the future is, in my humble opinion, wrong.

After dropping the car back at Enterprise (and after being dropped back by Enterprise), we had a short nap and headed for the Forester's Arms. The outside of the pub is completely in keeping with the rest of the village, but the inside is cream-leather luxury modern, with a huge fish tank and a massive fish called Randy.

Dinner was nice and the prices where far better than I've been used to on this journey. I probably won't get the time to try dinner at the Old Sun (the other pub) but if you're in Nether Heyford, I'd recommend the Forester's Arms. They even do a slightly cheaper lunchtime menu. As I've said before, it's only 1.5 miles from Junction 16 of the M1 and I'm sure it's far better than motorway services.

Got back to find that I'd left the water pump enabled and while the engine started okay, I'm nervous. More tomorrow.