Friday 22 August 2008

I'm broken


Marsworth, 0 miles, 0 locks

I've had a terrible night. I was delirious for half of it and in pain for the other half. My back, which twanged a few days ago while getting out of bed, then re-twanged while getting batteries out, is particularly painful. My knees--one of which I pranged while cycling with 11 litres of liquid and the other of which I pranged on the first lock out of Aylesbury yesterday--are both sore and most of me is either aching or, er, unresponsive.

I'm assuming that this is what happens when you take a lazy fat bloke and make him do a hard day's graft, but I might be wrong. It certainly wasn't helped by me not eating properly yesterday, and while I thought the delirium was probably due to dehydration, in practice I've been to the loo umpteen times through the night and my wee is clear and plentiful.

I feel better now I've had a shower and a vigourous rub down with a stiff-as-a-board home-washed and wind-dried towel, but I'm taking no chances, so triple-strength Anadin to fix the aches; and a substantial F-Plan style breakfast of half a red grapefruit, followed by bran flakes covered with a pro-biotic yoghurt and a sliced banana.

On the plus side, the rain that was pummeling down on the roof at about 7:30 seems to have gone and it looks dry outside. I might even do some more boating.