Thursday 14 August 2008

London

Bulbourne, 0 miles, 0 locks

Today has mainly been spent in London. I had a routine hospital appointment at 10:30, so after an exhilarating cycle ride down the towpath to Tring, I caught the train after the one I'd meant to (it wasn't running) and set off to Euston. That was followed by a frustrating time trying to get on the Victoria line, where the carriages were so full that it was impossible to get in the doors (especially with the Brompton) and I had to let a couple of trains pass. That was followed by the Piccadilly line to Boston Manor...which terminated one stop early at Northfields. Fortunately a Heathrow train arrived almost immediately, but with one thing and another I arrived at the hospital 20 minutes late instead of 30 minutes early.

Back to Boston Manor and off to King's Cross to collect my post. There was no-one in the Marina, so I popped into the Blue River Café for coffee, then got soaked on the short cycle ride to the Pentonville Rubber Company on Pentonville Road. I was there because I'd ordered new foam cushions to go on the sofa in the main cabin and while I'd thought they'd do them on the spot, for some reason they had to be done at 'the factory' which meant a delay. They looked fine, so they were bundled into an enormous polythene bag, sellotaped and string handles were attached so I could carry it. I must have looked a right sight, struggling across to the bus stop with a huge amount of blue foam, a folding bicycle and a bag. The bus driver was bemused anyway.

At Euston I couldn't believe my luck that just next to the bus stop there was a trolley. I put the foam on the front, the bike in the basket at the back, and the bag underneath and headed for platform 8 back to Tring. Amazing how people somehow don't notice a huge amount of blue foam when it's sitting next to them. Got a taxi from Tring back to the boat (and the taxi driver was kind enough to let me sit in the car for a few minutes once we'd arrived, until the rain stopped). The foam largely fits, but is in some ways too large. I can see where the problems are and they're mainly due to me not having compensated for the new cushions being thicker than the old ones, but it looks all right and seems comfy enough (if a bit hard). Pentonville will cut off any surplus bits if I take it back to them, but I might wait until a more convenient time.

My friend Chris arrived for a visit, just until tomorrow. He brings the good news that he's sold my car; and for ready money too! That's the last of my unresolved problems sorted, so I don't have to worry about MOT's or Islington Parking Permits any more. Phew!

Dinner was in the Grand Junction Arms again (after such a day, I couldn't be bothered to cook). It was steak night so I had steak, which was...okay. At least it was cheap.