Sunday 28 September 2008

Junction to Junction

Fradley Junction to Fazeley Junction, 11 miles, 0 locks

Was at a bit of a low ebb this morning, partially because of the so-so weather and partially because of the 'parting of the ways' with John and Rita. After a brief chat with John in the morning, I cooked breakfast then set about essential chores: emptying the loo and the bins, then getting the brolly stand changed for one that is smaller. Its about time I filled Oothoon's water tank too and while there's a water point this side of the Fradley lock, there's also a couple after the swing bridge on the Coventry canal. I decide to use one of those so John repositioned Izzyinn Two to use the one this side of the lock. As I head for the lock I wave good-bye to Rita, then John sees me through the lock and the swing bridge.

After a quick water stop, it's time for some boating. I know that Frazeley Junction is about 3.5 hours away and there's no locks, but it's not until I've set off that I realise I've left the map indoors. This might be a worry normally, because I like to know when and where the locks are, but I should be okay without it. The journey is largely uneventful, meandering through nice scenery and countryside. The sun even comes out for a little while and makes everything seem even better. Around 5:30 I go under Lichfield Road Bridge at Hopwas and notice that there's a pub on either side of the canal and a decent mooring spot too. It occurs to me that I really should stop now, because the signs are right, but the sun is still shining and from my vague memory of the route I'm not far from Fazeley, so I press on. Big mistake. The sun goes in not long after and it suddenly starts to feel cold, and there's lots of boats moored so I'm crawling along at 2.5mph (4kph). There's not many landmarks at this point—even the frequent bridges that have marked my progress disappear—and I realise that I have no actual idea how much further there is to go or whether I'll make it before sundown. It's a thoroughly miserable state of affairs and one of my own making. I keep doing this: setting a target and pressing myself to make sure I get there, even when my instincts are telling me not to. I really need to stop doing this, because it's not doing me any good, but I've no choice but to go with the decision I made and so I keep going.

Frazeley turns out to be about three miles from Hopwas and it takes me over an hour to get there. Without the map I'm not sure whether I've arrived or not, but there's a long queue of boats moored and I figure that surely I must be there by now. I stop and tie up in the first available spot, then wander along the towpath to look at the BW sign I can see in the distance: Frazeley Visitor Moorings, 48 hours, 7 days max. There's a spot directly opposite the BW offices, which is where several people have told me to moor, so I shuffle Oothoon along into it. Once all is secure, I go indoors, put the heating on and get changed. I've got mince to use that I should have cooked yesterday, so it's taco night again (yay!) That at least puts a smile on my face and the minor amount of cooking and preparation takes my mind off what has really forced me to get here today: train accessability.

The internet isn't working again, although the modem claims to have five-bars of signal. Without it I can't check train times from Tamworth to London; neither can I figure out where Tamworth station is relative to the mooring (although the train lines seem to cross at the other side of town). The only other option is Atherstone, where the station is right next to the canal, however I like the mooring here, whereas Atherstone is an unknown quantity and I don't want another Long Eaton. Fortunately it's Sunday and I won't have to be in London until Tuesday or Wednesday, which gives me time to work out what the best option is. If it's Atherstone, I've got Monday to move there and possibly Tuesday too. I decided to sleep on it.