Wednesday 3 September 2008

All's well that ends in Welford


Gilbert's Bridge to Welford, 0.75 miles, 1 lock

After my reccie into Welford yesterday, I knew exactly where I wanted to park: the place where nb Bonnington was moored. I'd been assured that most people only stay in Welford overnight and they'd all be moving on in the morning, so I waited until Bonnington chugged past then went into action, filling the header tank with 6 litres of water, starting the engine, un-mooring and heading off. My timing was perfect, as another boat was coming along the arm towards Welford and I didn't want them taking Bonnington's place, but also because another boat was coming from Welford which meant that the lock would be set for me.

The lock was only a few minutes away around a couple of bends, but by the time I got there, Oothoon's temperature gauge was nearly at 90° and rising (she typically cruises at 60°). The lock gates were partially open, so I gently nudged them open with Oothoon's prow and the switched off the engine, allowing inertia to carry her into the lock. It was a narrow lock, but unlike the Aylesbury locks there is a little bridge by the double-gates, making operation easy. There was only one paddle on the top gate, so the lock filled slowly, but I didn't mind as it gave the engine more time to cool down. There was another boat waiting to go down, so her captain joined me and he took over the operation of the lock.

Once the top gate was open I re-started the engine, which had cooled down to about 80°. I decided to go slowly, partially so that I didn't over-rev the engine and make it heat up, but also so it would allow a good deal of water to flow over the skin-tank which is effectively the radiator. This worked reasonably well, with the temperature staying relatively steady, until I'd just passed the entrance to Welford Marina. There the canal narrows to just over two boat-widths, boats are moored along one side, and a boat was coming towards me. Fortunately I was still in the winding hole outside the marina, so I put the engine into reverse to do an emergency stop, but that sent the temperature up. Once I'd moved out of the way of the oncoming boat, I stopped the engine and waited.

This was a tricky position to be in. On the one hand, if a boat came from Welford it would be able to get past, but if a boat came out of the marina it wouldn't. On the other hand, if a boat was going towards Welford it would also be able to get past, but might grab the spot vacated by Bonnington. I waited a couple of minutes while the engine cooled, and Oothoon drifted down the arm and gave me a view of my destination. It was only about 100 metres away so I figured I'd take a chance, started up the engine and went for it. Knowing that I'd have to choose my line carefully, I tried to keep close to the moored boats, but I was barely going above tickover speed so there wasn't much wash. After the last boat I headed for the bank, knowing that I'd bounce but that at least I'd be in. I stopped the engine and threw the rudder over to try to bring the stern in and as soon as I was close enough I jumped onto the bank with the centre rope and tried to slow Oothoon enough to stop her hitting the boat in front, which I managed with about a foot to spare. All it took then was dragging her back a little bit to leave a small gap between the boats and then to tie up.

It started to rain again almost immediately, so after making sure that the solar cell was oriented correctly I had a nap. When I awoke the sun was shining, so I emptied the loo at the nearby Elsan point and decided to have a wander into Welford. There's not a lot to it, it has to be said. There's the Wharf Inn by the basin, there's the post office, the Elizabethan pub/restaurant/music venue (closed in the afternoons), the church and a Murco petrol station. I had wandered into the shop of the Murco before I'd even realised I'd done it and was quite unprepared when, having looked me up and down, the man stepped from behind the counter and asked what he could do for me. I muttered something about just looking around and realised how lame that sounded, so trying to put my mind into gear I looked around to see if there was anything I might want to buy. In the end I plumped for some Hartley's Marmalade (not terribly nice--it has no peel in it) and a bottle of Dandelion and Burdock. Wandering back down the street, I thought about calling in to the post office, but realised that I had no reason to do so, and wanting to avoid a repeat of the experience I'd just had, I walked past and went home.

It was a bit of a boring afternoon, frankly. There's no telephone signal here, so no internet, and there's no WiFi in the village. It really does seem pretty isolated. I could have done things like finishing fitting my carpet tiles or having a go at making covers for my new seating foam, but I wasn't really in the mood. Even Tom Nook's was closed for refurbishment in Animal Crossing, so instead I mainly snacked on Discos and Skips, drank tea and read my Encyclopaedia of Cult Children's TV from end to end.

Dinner was VESTA Paella washed down with a small glass of red wine to add some ambience, and I was in bed and reading by 9:30. I was near the end of the book anyway, so by 10 I'd finished and it was lights off and eyes closed.