Tuesday 21 October 2008

Oxford!


Oxford to Osney, 0.5 miles, 1 lock

What a contrast to yesterday, with the sun shining and it being absolutely beautiful weather. This is the day I should have come down from Thrupp, not yesterday, although I might not have been as lucky with the lift bridges, so I wasn't going to complain.

I had nothing in for breakfast, but I remembered that there's a great Croissant shop in the big square not far from the end of the canal, so I had a wander along there, passing the Elsan disposal point on the way (which I'd need later as the loo was full). After a relaxing breakfast of a croissant and coffee, I wandered over to the Thames to talk to the lock keeper at Osney. I was hoping it would be Ray, who was the super-helpful lock keeper last year when I'd got stuck on the Thames and it was. Once again he was friendly, helpful and chatty and welcoming. We sorted out what kind of licence I'd need and he said there would be no problem with mooring at Osney for a few days if I wanted to, which I decided I would.

I went back to Oothoon and emptied the loo, then got a txt from my friend Chris in Oxford who asked where I was moored and what was I doing. He was just off round the gym, but said he'd meet me in an hour once I'd got to Osney. I decided to set Isis lock so I could go straight in and as I was returning to the boat, there was a boat-fella coming the opposite way who asked whether I'd heard that the boatyard had been saved? Turns out that the developer's planning application has been rejected for a second time, because the council are insisting on a 'mixed use' plan (whatever that is). With the falling price of property and the developer's having paid over the odds for the boatyard land, they were in a fine pickle apparently. He was hoping that they'd either sell the land and a boatyard would re-open, or they'd build one themselves. Personally I couldn't see it.

No problems going through Isis lock, however Ray had warned me that the current in Sheepwash cut was quite strong as the weir there was open. He wasn't joking. As I tried to turn, I realised that I was drifting sideways towards the large red DANGER buoy that was moored in the channel. I decided that all I could do quickly was to head for the other bank and pivot, which is what I did. Of course waiting for me on the other bank was a tree and while I pivoted successfully, as I reversed out, I could see that it wasn't letting go of Oothoon's cratch without a fight. The current in Sheepwash was very strong, but I got through okay, even managing a graceful turn at the end into the Thames proper. I knew Osney bridge was low, so I hadn't bothered to reattach the chimneys and I'd taken the precaution of putting the gangplank in the front well deck while Oothoon was in Isis lock. I'm glad I did—the boat barely made it under there, with me having to crouch right down to get under myself!

As I was tying up, Chris arrived and we went to the Waterman's Arms for lunch. It's a great pub and I got to know it quite well while I was stranded on the Thames last year. The food was as good as ever, with the home made steak and kidney pie being excellent. We were joined by a friend of Chris', who lived just the other side of the river and although we were the only ones left, the pub didn't bother to close or chuck us out until 4pm, when the management had to go to the cash & carry.

The three of us stood chatting outside my boat for a long time, then Chris took me to a local signmaking company, so I could buy some magnetic sheeting. Although it's a year since I was on the Thames, I still haven't got Oothoon's name painted on her and the Environment Agency likes all their boats clearly named, so I was intending to make magnetic letters from the sheet. 

After that I went to see my friend Laurance, who was taking me for dinner. We went to The Mole Inn in the charmingly named village of Toot Baldon and the food was excellent. Dinner was Cream of Parsnip Soup with Walnuts followed by Creamed Smoked Haddock with Mustard, Leeks, a Poached Egg and Cheese Mash; the whole lot washed down with some Merlot. It was nice to see Laurance again (and Scooby the dog!) and he dropped me off back at the boat afterwards.